Rainbow Bridge Remembrance Day 2020

I was not going to write a Remembrance Day cause I spent yesterday upset for the peeps that had lost a dear member of the family.  Today I feel differently.  Kali was such a huge part of my life.  I just had to talk about her.

Thank you to Deb Barnes for making this day possible and to Ann at Zoolatry for the beautiful badge.  You both are angels that walk amongst us.

Rainbow Bridge Remembrance Day was started by Deb Barnes from The Chronicles of Zee and Zoey. It came from her desire to find the love, beauty, and dignity in saying goodbye to Jazz, her Ragdoll cat, that she let go of on August 28, 2013. Each year we use this day to remember our beloved furry friends that have left us. Deb is hosting a blog hop, which you can find here

Kali was always a little different.  When I first met her she was walking along the washer and dryer in her parents home. Her mom was a lovely slink Lynx Point and her dad was a big Flame Point.  Kali took after her father.  There was nothing dainty about Kali…she was sturdy, shall we say.  She was parading back and forth on the washer and dryer with her tail held high and she….FELL into the washing machine.  I laughed and I swear she did too.  Our fates were sealed.  We had to pay for Kali….a whole $40.   Kali is Hawaiian for “Happiness” and she was happiness incorporated. I remember handing her over to my friend to hold till we got home.  He fussed the whole way home that he might hurt her.  He never held a kitten before.  We all arrived at home in good shape.  No broken bones or fur falling out from stress.

When we got home my other Siamese was there to greet us.  Keeko was a Siamese Birman cross and she didn’t care for other cats at all!  She liked and even loved me but other people and cats were not to be trusted.

Kali fell asleep the instant we got home.  My friend was so happy he hadn’t somehow squished Kali.

The next time we looked over at Kali…..Keeko was on top of her. We were afraid Keeko’s streak of liking just me would come out but Keeko seemed to really like this new white furball.

They became fast friends and remained so.

When Kali was 2 she started losing her teeth.  She had a disease that attacked the gums not gingivitis but something she was born with.  By the time she was 3 she had 4 teeth left.  She couldn’t seem to hold her food down without it coming out the other end.  I went to so many vets to find the cause and no one knew why.  The final vet in town thought she might be allergic to commercial cat food and sure enough….she was allergic.  Once the change was made she never looked back.  We spent many a long night on the bathroom floor when she was so sick.  Me just a singin’ my heart out and cuddling Kali and her finally relaxing in my arms.  This was a bonding time for us.  Kali had her own album on the computer which I would play when she got uptight.

We would all go for a walk down along the Fraser River. Keeko and Kali didn’t need a leash cause they kept right up with me.

Kali would rush over and greet her friends at their doorways and Keeko would hiss at them from the road. Everything was as it should be.

Kali was absent minded and would forget she was out walking with all of us. She would consume herself with the smells of the day. I would call Keeko and Kali and Keeko would go round up Kali and bring her to my spot.

Kali never cared for catnip but she loved Oregano.  She even had her own plant.  One day she came in from the backyard smelling like dinner.  This is when I discovered just how much she loved oregano.  She was black from toe to the top of her head.

A quick rinse and she no longer smelled like spaghetti. We bought her an oregano plant she could call her own after that episode.

Shoko entered Kali’s life when Kali was 7 and she was very unsure of this whipper snapper.  They also grew to be fast friends but Shoko was very similiar to Keeko when it came to liking others.

The day came that we had to part with Kali.  We will not talk of that day.  Kali watches me now from the garden right next to her oregano plant.

May your memories be as sweet as ours.

This post will also appear in The Cat On My Head’s selfies.

50 thoughts on “Rainbow Bridge Remembrance Day 2020

Oh, Jean, thank you so much for sharing Kali’s story. I started tearing up with the picture of her cuddling, with her arm around Keeko. I wish I had known her “in the furs.” *hugs* Amy

2. mommakatandherbearcat

We miss Kali so much!! We learned a lot about her that we didn’t know. It’s funny how some cats we never meet can mean so much to us – there’s just something about them that is so fascinating – but Kali and Shoks have always been in that category. Please know we’re thinking of and remembering Kali with you ❤

3. Memories of Eric and Flynn

You have lovely memories of Kali to cherish. The sad ones must be shut away in the back of your mind.

4. Brian

That was such a sweet story of dear Kali, we are glad you shared her with us. This was our first year participating too, with all our losses it was too hard but it seemed right. Hugs as you remember that dear girl each and every day.

Your family had many losses this year, Brian. It is so difficult when a family member leaves whether its expected or not. There is a large hold where their love should be. Somehow we push on and find even more love up ahead.

Jean

5. The K Clowder

Thanks for sharing Kali’s story! She was quite the character, Wes knows all cats are, it Kali had an extra helping! Wes were so sad when she went OTB, well, except for Queen Nellie who was happy that one of her bestest blogging furrends was there to get into mischief (and oregano). Wes sends yous hugs!
    Purrs
    Marv, Jo Jo, Kozmo, Cinnamon and Angel Nellie

6. BellaDharma an LadyMew

What a wonderful & poignant blog post Jean. Keeko was beautiful (I never knew about Keeko). An Kali was so tiny & grew up to be so beautiful. I miss seeing her posts alot…
    Thank you for sharing Kali & her photos.
    (((hugs))) Sherri-Ellen & **purrss** BellaDharma

Kali is the only cat we ever had that didn’t like playing. She gave all her toys away and was content to do what I was doing. If, I was weeding, she would sit behind me on the air mattress and sleep in the sun.

Jean

7. Judith Johnson

I remember the day that you made the call to help Kali make her way over the Rainbow Bridge. I cried a little that day too. I sometimes tell the story of how I was retrieving little objects from under the bed so that I wouldn’t vacuum them up. I picked up a small item and without really looking, I just tossed it up on to the bed. Kali was there slumbering peacefully and it landed right on her nose! One of those “I couldn’t have done it if I tried” She didn’t hold it against me.
    I have a new client who has three cats. She told me that I would see two of them but the third one would always hide. Well, just a few weeks in and I turn around from what I was doing, and here was this last cat sitting on the stairs watching me! I went towards it and it backed off a bit but didn’t dash right off.

8. erinthecatprincess

There is no life that is shared with a fine feline that is not better for it, and no human that is not touched deeper than at any other time by the honest delight and true friendship they impart.
    A lovely post for Kali, and for all those we have lost….
    Gentle Purrs
    ERin

That is such a sweet story……memories of our Angels and the smiles and love they brought to us are so special. Cats are so HONEST with their feelings and I’ve always admired that about them. They show love in so many ways. I still dream about Angel Sammy so I know he watches over us as do ALL our Angels and I’m sure YOUR Angels approve of your three sweet cats now bringing joy to you.

Hugs, Pam

There have been so many furry lives that have touched mine and I am the better for it. These furry creatures impart patience on us.Patience to learn a different way of communicating and enjoying each moment.

Jean

10. Timmy Tomcat

Dearest Kali we miss you too and know your Mom loved you dearly. Your main Man Cat Buddy Budd has your picture right next to his where he sits watching that the family keeps his high ideals of being nice to each other. (Most times it works) Thanks so much to Mom for sharing all these very special memories of you dear girl. Please watch over us until that day we all meet again.
    Timmy, Dad, Toby, Angel Buddy Budd, Rumpy, Fitz and Einstein

11. Buddy Budd

Mah dearezt Kali. Ah lovin yoo more and more each day we haz at da Bridge. Mom yoo gotz no worriez az ah, Buddy Budd, iz with Kali and we havin lotz uf fun. Dat Keeko sumptin too Har Har Har. Purrs frum us all
    Yer Big Bloo Buddy
    Buddy Budd

This was such a sweet and beautiful post for Kali. Mom and all of us are so happy you decided to write it. How lovely that Keeko immediately accepted her. Thanks for sharing this post on the hop. The Gingersnap is sending Tyebe whisker kisses and purrs. XOCK, angel Lily Olivia, angel Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, angel Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth, Calista Jo, Cooper Murphy and Sawyer

Kali was very special…..she was a crotchety cougar as was Lily Olivia. These gals had attitudes…..would we want them any other way? I still see those huge blue eyes of Kali’s,

Jean

Tyebe is always sending whisker kisses and paw hugs to The Snap. Right now Tyebe is out walking on the neighbour’s garage roof.

13. Doug Thomas

Thank you for remembering Dougy, my Persian. It’s been just six weeks since we lost him, yet his brother, Andy, and I still have tearful moments. (I call them “tearful”, though Andy, of course shows his sorrow his way.) We are adjusting, though, and I am happy to see Andy bloom in ways I didn’t expect as he takes over parts of Dougylandia, claiming Dougy’s ottoman, for example, as newly part of Andylandia. Of course, he won’t dally on the ottoman unless I cover it with a lapboard because the ottoman still is Dougy’s otherwise. I’m still uncertain if I will get a shelter cat to be a companion and playmate for Andy.

Dougy was another special furry. It is so difficult losing a family member. They are so much a part of our daily lives. It will take as long as it takes to see just the laughable and fun side of Dougy. We all heal at different rates but I guarantee you that one day the warm and cuddly feelings will win out over the negative. Andy will now blossom forth in different ways as he doesn’t have a brother to compete with. The ottoman with a cover on it cause it was Dougy’s sounds so familiar. Kali was allowed on my walker but Shoko was not. There is no way Sjoko could get on the walker. Kali would bat her off, hiss and growl at her. Finally Shoko got the message and she never went near the walker. Even now that Kali has been gone for 3 years……Shoko will go nowhere near the walker. I even put Shoko on the walker and she immediately jumped off. This walker will always be Kali’s to Shoko. Tyebe on the other paw is all over the walker.

As far as another cat is concerned I’d wait and see how Andy is handling life as a single cat. Sometimes they don’t need or want another companion. You are enough for them. You’ll feel it when and if the time is right.

Jean

Believe me, I understand Monika. It took a few years till I could write about Kali. You’ll feel when the time is right for you. There are some pets I still can’t write about at all. They hold a place that is not ready to be disturbed…..perhaps it never will.

Hugs,

Jean

14. everythingtips

wonderful memories! such a heartwarming story! Kali already has a special place in my heart without me even knowing her🥺 thanks for sharing💞

Follow @everythingtips for tips and recommendations if interested! It would mean a lot to me!🥺🤍