A Stitch In The Finger….. Hurts!

Mom had minor surgery today on her baby finger.  When the orthopedic surgeon put the replacement joint in her baby finger, 5 years ago, he had already fused the joint.  Mom could never understand why he did this but so be it.  After living with this misplaced joint, she discovered writing was more difficult because the joint rubbed, was a nuisance and with repeated use, hurt. Also with this rubbing, the joint area turned black.
Mom will tell you what happened in her own words…take it away mom
Thanks Kali.

I went to the hospital a little earlier than our appointment and the doctor took me early. Let me tell you about this procedure while it’s still fresh in my mind.  I went into this room called Minor Surgery #2.  The nurse asked my address, phone # and
where I lived…just to make sure I had all my marbles before the procedure started, I guess.  I managed to get all the answers right, so we carried on.  Dr P came in and explained….very roughly, what he was going to do to my finger.  It sounded ghastly so I tuned him out, and only caught the odd word.  Humming *California Dreamin’* in my head, I got on the table with a bit of assistance from the nurse.  Delighted my  own bed was so much more comfy.  I didn’t like lying flat, so had them adjust my bed.  I must admit my tummy sure disappeared though.  Once a bit more comfortable we carried on.  My hand was cleaned with some antiseptic stuff that ran down my arm and was freezing cold.  I mentioned that antiseptic was running down my arm and the Dr. said they’d get it….they forgot all about it.  Onward….we went with three huge needles to my finger area.  One shot between the ring and baby finger, right at the web part.  The next shot was on the finger near the joint.  The final shot was on the side of my palm.   These areas are tender as a baby’s butt.  The final touch was the tourniquet on my upper arm.  The tourniquet was so very tight, it was a hurtin’ something fierce.  Perhaps this was to take my attention away from the finger.  A bloodless operation.  I liked the sound of that.  I was told the tourniquet was just for a *few minutes*. The doctor worked, the nurse restocked the bandage cabinet and I lay on the steel bed counting the dents in the ceiling.  The next thing that happened was the Dr. asking for an instrument from the nurse who seemed to have left.  The doctor was getting agitated and ended up shouting for her in the corridor.  I swear only in Prince George would this happen. Shortly, the nurse came rushing in the room after telling us she took some garbage to the trash room.  I hope she washed her hands.  I got back to counting the multitude of dents in the ceiling as all was in order once again.  Dr P declared he was putting the stitches in and then I’d be free to go.  My, I deserved a fun food for going through this crap.  But what, chocolate covered raisins, chocolate bark( big slab of chocolate) or pumpkin cookies.  Decisions, decisions! Dr, P finished up and the very last thing the nurse did was to loosen the tourniquet.  My hand was red, red….not like a beet but a close runner-up.  Eek…no feeling either.                                                                      aaafingerWoohoo…I was out of the surgery room by noon PDT.It wasn’t fun but it’s done except for the stitches coming out. I got a prescription for t’3’s as these are my preferred pain killers Yes, I’ve delved into the world of pain-killers and have favourites.                                                                          aaashok2After a trip to the grocery store for a few goodies, mom was home.  She looked fine especially for one of the walking wounded.  Time to take us for a walk and stroll….off we went up the Lane.

KALI…..ORANGE
MOM……WINE
SHOKO…..BLACK

May your paws carry you to tasty nip.                                                                     SHOKOKALI2

62 thoughts on “A Stitch In The Finger….. Hurts!

1. easyweimaraner

oh my … she worked with the garbage?….. I hope so much that she really cleaned her paws. Take all the soulfood you can get the more the merrier this adventure needs all things you love :o) Hugs to you and a speedy recovery without complications… now at home you have the two bestest nurses ever and I’m sure they are purrr-fect :O)

Clean paws are God’s playground, or so mom says when my paws are filthy. I guess the guy from down under is playing on my paws. MOL We have been sleeping as a big hint to mom to have a snooze. The freezing is out today and her finger is sore. To be expected but she doesn’t get the hint to come and sleep.
      I’ll continue sleeping in my stroller.

2. Piglove

Your mom sounded human last night when my mom talked to her. I think the pain was coming back. And like my mom, I suggest you milk this for all its worth and make Mr. Bill wait on you hand and paw…. I’m just sayin – evil snorts. Hope you get to feeling better my friend. We loves you to the moon and back. XOXO – Bacon

1. Piglove

Oh my friend – I do declare more Mac and Cheese it should be for sure. Is your butler – I mean your daddy taking care of your mom like he should? Snorts with piggy laughter. XOXO – Bacon

Mom does love her mac and cheese but dad figures she should be ok by now so she gets to make supper now. She’ll ham it up….sorry Bacon….but the mac and cheese is eaten. Time to get back to semi-normal life.

3. Piglove

NNNOOO! Did you hear that squeals all the way here in the south? If there is still a bandage and stitches, then you are still a patient sweet friend 🙂 XOXO – Bacon

3. databbiesotrouttowne

kali & shoko….we iz troo lee sorre coz itz knot a laffin matter …but de way yur mom rited thiz iz hill larry uz ~~~~~~~ { can ewe say trane post bak a few } we hope ta cod herz feelin 100000000000 puurcent better two day; tell her if her runz outta her fave ☺; wrap a perch round her finger; her will feel grate, smell awesum, look troo lee stylish N her willna hafta dee side bee tween raisinz & pumpkin ~~~~~~~ we reel lee due hope herz better ♥♥♥♥♥

We hafta laugh about these things my fishy friends cause they are different and not much fun. I like the idea of a perch on mom’s finger. Then I can walk by and have a bite…Mmmm….good to the last gill..

4. Deziz World

MOL Bet ya’ll did go strollin’ Shoko. Your mommy be flyin’ high as a kite right now. She ain’t feelin’ no pain. Wait’ll tonight when it all wears off. Oh NO!!! MOL We’s glad everythin’ went okay and dat your mommy’s home safe and sound. Sendin’ big hugs and lots of purrayers.

Dezi, Raena and mommy A

You were right Dezi, she was fine last night. Today the freezing wore off and her fingy hurt. It hurt enough for a T’3 and then mom went out and mixed with peeps. Everything seemed to be funny. Well, she’s finally landed and she’s home again. Think she’ll sleep now.

Thanks for your good wishes. Mom really appreciates them.

5. Amy Sandy

Jean, you could have sent this one to Bacon for his Halloween horror stories. The needles had to be the worst of the pain. Noting the incompetency, I would have also been worried about my arm turning black and falling off because of that tourniquet. I sure hope the doc did a good job and that your pinkie will be as good as new! Please keep us all informed, and may your shoes carry you to some tasty chocolate.

I’d like my shoes to take me to some chocolate! Mmmmm…yes! I trusted this guy for some reason. I can’t see my finger so will have to guess that he did a good job. I’ll know Sunday when the bandage comes off. Maybe we should make my finger our Selfie. haha

Jean

6. Photofinland by Rantasalot

You are a brave lady, you didn’t shout, didn’t bite the doctor, I am sure the needles and the tourniquet, heart. Tourniquet word seems to me same as torture.
    But don’t you think that “the disappeared nurse” is only possible in Prince George, it is every day life here in own health center.
    We wish you will be painless and have a working baby finger soon.
    Kosmo and his frankly

7. weggieboy

Whew! At least the worst is done, and you can get on with the healing. I prefer to be knocked out when I have surgery, even minor ones, but the anesthesiologist determines that, i suppose.

I used to think the same way but I’ve changed with my age. I am on meds that when I get anesthesia make me very….shall I say pliable afterwards. I know nothing , have nothing to say and generally am not me but a copy thereof. You could tell me you were a Texas Ranger and I’d believe you. This goes on till the anesthetic is out of my system. I prefer to have all my marbles for as long as I can. If you can get away with anesthetic…..go for it. hehe

Jean

8. Einstein

Oh Ouchie that is some surgery. Purrs Mom that you feel better as soon as pawsible.
    Wanted to let my gal Shoko know that I am demonstrating how to fluff the floof tomorrow MOL
    Buddy is MC if Kali wants to come too
    Puirrs
    Your Floofy Man-Cat
    Einstein

Our Mom has had a bazillion surgeries, but she agrees that hand ones are particularly painful, especially those numbing shots. Hope when all is said and done that the procedure is a huge success. Sending lots of purrs and prayers. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

10. Nylabluesmum

Mee-you Lady Jean yur toe-tallee BRAVE!!!! An Purrince George soundss like here inn Owen Sound!!! EMERG iss a BIG joke an most of thee Dockturss are purrty dim…(LadyMum’ss werd).
    Shee iss considerin surgery but at a Private Clinick if it can bee covered…shee not want to bee inn Hospital at all…..
    Pleeze bee carefull with yur fingur an get plentee of rest an take yur T’3’ss an GET Better Soon Lady Jean.
    Sendin you ❤ LUV ❤ an POTP Siddhartha Henry an LadyMum ❤

She seems fine Binky. She’s not stoned on drugs anymore and is doing her usual stuff. She has to keep the bandage dry till Sunday so she can get out of dishes and anything else to do with water. What a ham she can be! MOL

Mom is different and views life’s mishaps in a better light….most times but I’ve seen her knocked flat and no amount of toy throwing cheers her up. Yes, if they were pickled, things would be happier. MOL