Getting Ready For The Growing Season

My stars…mom says its time to plant some transplants already.  It’s not even the 24th of May yet.  We usually plant on our Canadian national  holiday of the Queen’s birthday,  Not this queen, but Queen Victoria.  I don’t really know why we celebrate her cause this queen has a birthday too and she’s still going strong at 90.  I digress…the weather has been very warm here.  Mom’s thoughts have turned to planting time.  So everybody in the household has padded out to the garden and done some work.                                                                         avegygardenDad rototilled the soon to be planted veggie garden.  Mom will soon sit in the soil and plant the seeds.  I will help her by digging out the rows.  Kali will lie on the air mattress mom uses.

abeewater1The water in the saucer is for the kitties that wander over here and are thirsty after partaking of the Nip.  The stones in the saucer are places for the bees to have a drink.  I try not to grab any flies taking the water…I usually am busy with my watering chores and don’t see them.

akalideckKali is supervising the work dad and mom are doing but she doesn’t want to get her paws dirty.

Mom decided we needed a break so we took a walk in the Lane.

ashowalkI looked both ways before I stepped into the Lane.  There could be some weird kitty or, heaven forbid, a dog in the Lane.  All was clear.

Cow Kitty is that you here at the cwappy house?

ack1

It is you!  What a great place to lay, in the cool long grass.                                                      ackcloseup

Cow Kitty looks like we woke him.  MOL                                                                        ashcloseLet’s take Cow Kitty and go home Shoks…there is more to do in the backyard.  Ok, mom let’s go.  C’mon Cow Kitty, the dirt is calling us!

Have a messy but fun day my friends.                                                                  Kali and Shoks

38 thoughts on “Getting Ready For The Growing Season

1. Genevieve Petrillo

Sweet kitty and bumble bee water dish. You kids are being very helpful with the yard work. Kali, you are smart to stay clean. Otherwise there’s a B-A-T-H in your future. *shiver*

Love and licks,
    Cupcake

2. easyweimaraner

veggie garden. the things my mom planted look miserable…. we pushed everything with manure today… if that will not help, we will plant some dandelions, they are the only thing what grows here :o) (sorry the wp-gremlin teased me and sent the comment before I was ready…)

We have a fine crop of dandelions too…too bad we don’t drink. I’ve heard dandelions have medicinal qualities too. Still, it is a weed and I don’t want to be seen eating weeds.

3. lexitheschnauzer

I wish Mom and Dad would get off their butts, er I mean, had started their compost sooner, so we could have a garden. Our soil is too thin and rocky, so they say. I think that is just an excuse. I would be glad to help pick the cherry tomatoes! Oh, hey, nice garden you are going to have there!

Why thank you Lexi. The tomatoes mom plants in with the tall flowers so the bees can pollinate them. The peppers go in the greenhouse. Everything has a special place after mom trying them in different locales throughout the garden. Even my nip is a special place. MOL

We’re about to enter the busy season – planting, watering, fertilizing, keeping cats out of the plants (hahahaha) and finally at the end of THAT road, harvesting and eating the bounty! YAY on the bounty part………..we have no veggies this year – decided to spend money at the farmer’s market where THEY have done all the work for us and just take home all the fruits of THEIR labor (or veggies of their labor). Enjoy some sun….we haven’t seen in in a while here.

Hugs, Sammy

This may be the road to go very soon, Sammy. Mom is always happy when the growing season is here so we haven’t reached that point yet but we cannot grow turnips…wormy. We will buy them at the farmer’s market.

Loves ya,

MOL…your strawberries are hardy perennials and are in the garden now…they sure have multiplied too. Carrots will be planted shortly. We have invested in seed tape. It’s so much easier to plant them in the tape.

1. Piglove

oohhh – I’m licking my lips now at thoughts of strawberries and carrots my sweet friends. And seed tape? I need to check this out so mom can plant me some favorites 🙂 XOXO – Bacon

The seed tape cost a bit more but its well worth it. Otherwise the seeds are so small they blow away or are dropped and one can’t see them or the worst…a whole bunch get planted way to close and need to be weeded out.

MOL Mom has chosen the seeds for the veggie garden and the potatoes. Not as many potatoes as last year, mom and dad were overwhelmed. We have sweet corn transplants too. This should be fun.

5. databbiesotrouttowne

cow kitty…dood !!! grate ta see ewe again….hope everee one haza grate time rollin in mud & dirt & pleez ta roll in sum for uz….paws crossed yur mom plantz kewl stuff thiz yeer like cat grazz, nip, cat mint……& knot junk like tomatoez & stuff like that 🙂 ♥♥♥

Hey, fishy friends, I see some more catnip in the garden…I guess the seeds blew off the main plant. Cat grass would be kewl. It’s wider than the average grass and personally, I think it tastes better. Cat mint we have never seen but it’s gotta’ be good….it’s got cat in the name. MOL

I thought we’d be safe planting now but the temperature was down to -4C at the airport this morning so mom and I will have to watch what we plant….peas are good and potatoes.

6. pilch92

Yay! A cow kitty sighting 🙂 How nice of you to invite him home with you. I don’t blame you Kali for not wanting to get your feets dirty. We planted ( well, hubby did) some peas and radishes already.

Really? Already radishes are in…I believe mom got some radish seeds and of course, we must have peas. Kali is taking it easy and being bossy but heck, that’s her choice as senior kitty.

7. Deziz World

MeOW Shoo it’s already warm enough to plant a garden? And here we are still havin’ winter time. MOL Crazy weather. Me can’t believe ya’ll are concerned ’bout givin’ da bees a drink. Mommy’s really ‘lergic to bees and doesn’t want ’em anywhere ’round us. Can’t wait to see da garden. Hope it warms up here soon and mommy can get some dirt, pots and seeds so we can use our new greenhouse.

Dezi

Wow, a new greenhouse! We’re impressed. As much as mom loves her greenhouse, she’s found she gets way more tomatoes from having them between the flowers. Bees don’t seem to want to go into the greenhouse so there were some tomatoes in the greenhouse but not many. Bees are the key ingredient. That’s why the stones in the water for the bees. There is such a shortage of bees, we want to help any way we can. There are lotsa wasps up here but hardly any bees. Mom says those wasps stinkers hurt like hell-o!

1. Deziz World

Yeah, our mommies talked ’bout it last year Shoko. But when whoever sent it to us it was too late in da season to put it out. Mommy be ‘lergic to wasps too Shoko. We just try to avoid all stingin’ bugs. Well make dat all bugs in general. MOL

Dezi

You know, mom has often wondered what she would do if she were in a condo….the time is approaching. She thinks she would still grow her herbs on the balcony and green onions. Would peas be ok in one of those long planters? That’s about all she really must have. Although a tomato would be nice.