Where’s Your Easter Spirit?

We posted this experience early last year.  It’s true and a good read for a happy day.  Have fun my friends.

There have been many comical moments in my mom’s life.   Many of them are not nice to talk about and she’s the only one that thought they were funny anyway….or so I’ve been told. This incident happened many moons ago…in the 80’s.  Dad was working out-of-town and would come home every 4 or 5 days to visit with mom.  Usually he was just home for the night until his turnaround came.  His turnaround was like 5 days at home and then back to work.  That was construction in the boonies.  There wasn’t the access to cell phones like now.  Mobile phones were huge and cost a small fortune.  So dad rarely called mom and when he did the conversation was very unsatisfactory.  For example:  “I love you” became…”I live less.”  It was always nice to hear his voice though.  This one year dad had come home and explained to mom that he had to work through Easter and wouldn’t be home for days afterward so mom decided to boil up some eggs, decorate them and put them all through his flat deck one ton truck.  She made the designs with the paint and brushes, got the stencils for the hard ones.  They were beautiful…according to mom.

That's more like the type of designs on the eggs!!

That’s more like the type of designs on the eggs!!

Mom decided to hide the eggs in dad’s truck, on his seat, under the seat covers, on the visors, in the glove compartment, one on the floor by the gas peddle…you get the idea. Well, dad left real early the next day before mom was up and motored back to work. That evening mom got a phone call from dad and he was fuming mad. She was delighted to hear from him…until he told her why he was calling. Apparently she hadn’t cooked the eggs long enough before putting the designs on them and disbursing them throughout the truck. He had jumped in the truck and broke the first egg…no sweat, he thought, I’ll just change my jeans. That done he got back in the truck and headed up the mountain dirt road toward the camp. He quickly applied the gas and broke another egg. The sun was shining in his eyes and so he pulled the visor down and a partially cooked, painted egg  fell and cracked on his lap. What did mom do when he told her?? She laughed her fool head off. What can I say…that’s my mom.

34 thoughts on “Where’s Your Easter Spirit?

1. kandykid

Jean left out about the one she put in my Jacket pocket, that broke. Immagine putting your hand in to get something out fo your pocket only to find a slimy mess. I can now smile at the memories. Dad.

2. easyweimaraner

I totally love this great story… the only bad thing is that we had no phones with a cam that time… this pictures would be priceless :o) my dad had a strawberry on his seat on saturday… and my momma told him your story, so they both had a good laugh… but nevertheless a jeans to change :o)

3. elainefaber4u

This sounds like a story that should make it’s way into a humorous mystery novel…. hummm… I’ll work on that idea. LOL! Thanks for sharing.

That’s what we call a GOOD IDEA GONE BAD….hahahaha….that’s so hilarious – your Mom is a hoot and a half and I just KNOW your Dad appreciates that (as well as you girls!).

Love, Sammy

MOL That’s exactly what it was a good idea gone so bad! One thing fur sure….neither one of them forgot the incident. Most Easters are unremarkable and blur together not that year….even if it wasn’t quite Easter yet.
      Have a great day,

MOL…even dad finds it funny…NOW but at the time I’m sure he wondered if mom was mad at him. MOL He knows how ….different….she can be and doesn’t even think twice about her antics.

5. pilch92

That is pretty funny. We use eggs in our Polish Easter soup.One year, I thought it would be pretty to have the colored eggs on the table and everyone could peel them for the soup- it was messy and everyone had dyed hands.

MOL Wouldn’t that be a super hoot! Dad did have a 35mm camera but they hardly ever took pictures. There’s not even much evidence they are who they say they are. The average picture taking was 1 picture every 3 years.

Cheers,