Shopping Around the World

March’s issue of shopping around the world is today’s major subject.

The first item is milk. This item was bought at Save On Foods. Superstore milk though a bit cheaper goes sour way faster.

dairyland 2% milk

dairyland 2% milk

A 4 litre jug, which is just over a US gallon is $4.95.

Tomatoes on the vine were bought at the Real Canadian Superstore.

The price was $2.47 a pound.

For a canned item, we chose Del Monte Cream Corn.
Del Monte Cream Corn

The price of the Del Monte Cream Corn at Superstore was $1.44 for 398ml.

A homemade dish was next on the list. Mom likes Tuna Helper Au Gratin as a quick dish but yummy. She adds various things laying around the kitchen. This time she used some frozen peas from the garden, dried green onions from the garden and a bit of green peppers from the garden. Almost forgot a few leftover beans from last might and some of the herbs she grows. Tuna Helper cost’s $2.50 at Save On Foods.

206 gram box

206 gram box

Mom uses Clover Leaf solid white albacore tuna. The price was $2.50 at Superstore for a 170 gram can.
clover leaf solid tuna

clover leaf solid tuna

So this meal cost mom about $6.00 if all the little extras are included.

The last item was a Random Item. Mom chose Mini Wheats. A 700 gram box cost $3.77 on sale at Superstore.

That is our shopping for the month.

Mom and I planted more Cilantro, sweet peas and Buttercup Squash today too. Hope these little seeds do better than their predecessors.

DSCN3181

25 thoughts on “Shopping Around the World

1. catfromhell

Yous guys is in BC too right?
    Down here on the border, our prices is a little less, but wes shops at Overwaitea (Save On), in grand Forks, BC and at McMynn’s Foods in Midway (they is as Fairplay store)
    And wes can’t wait to sees pictures of your garden.

Kisses
    Nellie

Yep Nellie, we are in Prince George. Mom loved Grand Forks when she drove through on her way to Osyoos. Midway must be a small town between the two places. I thought you lived closer to Kelowna….go figure. Save On up here is more expensive than The Real Canadian Superstore but the milk is fresher and we live like a block from Save On so if we run out of anything….it’s off to Save on.

Huggles,

2. Fozziemum

Our prices are so similar guys 🙂 think our dollars are close to the same ..I forgot my list…some co host hey… I know today I pay $1.70 a litre for a lactose free milk which is pretty good and the tomatoes I have not bought any for awhile since I grew ours 🙂 and hey good luck to Mums seedlings..we have been working the veggie patch and getting it ready for Autumn/ Winter 😉 brassicas here we come hahaah 🙂 loves Fozziemum xx

Mom was just telling Sammy of One Spoiled Cat that Canada’s socialist style of government is obvious in our regulated dairy products. Everywhere else seems to have cheaper milk.

(((Shoko)))

This is great fun Sammy! I am also learning more about our country. I know that Canada has a very subtle type of socialism and it is so obvious in the milk, butter and egg prices. The government regulates how much can and will be produced and other little things involving the dairy board. That’s why our dairy products are high.
      Jean

3. easyweimaraner

Oh that Tuna Helper is really a great helper… we love it to cook with all things we can find in the kitchen… we call that “Shmick-Shmack” and the taste is always different… from inedible to fabulous :o) I’m the biggest fan of Tuna… and because the world is a potty sometimes, I’m allergic to canned tuna…what a sh*t…

I like the name “Shmick Shmack”…that’s what we’ll be calling tuna helper from now on. Great idea to use it for lots of things. Mom has this big bag of chicken bits…we’ll add that. Mom screwed it up last night and added the garnish first….I don’t know sometimes I worry. Anyway she put a garnish of Panko crumbs on the top and some parmesan cheese. Dad never noticed the difference. Cheese covers lots of mom’s mistakes. Really? You’re allergic to tuna….bugger!! I love tuna.

(((Shoko)))

5. The Swiss Cats

It’s interesting, but it would be more significative if we could know the average income of each country or each state taking part. Purrs

You are so right Claire. Wages are different in each country although perhaps not as big a difference as we might think. I guess it would depend on what your job is. I think dairy prices here are atrocious.

Jean

1. DezizWorld

You do a pawsum job Shoko. Weez twied to have a gawden here, but tween da bunnies, birds, deer, awmadillos, opawssums, and lawn cwu we nevew get anyfin’ fwum it. So mommy just gave up. there be this planter like fing dat yous can gwo gawden type plants in da house in water year wound dat mommy wuld luv to get so hers kuld gwo salad fixin’s and stuff. But it’s too spensiv. Oh well. enjoy yous gawden.

Dezi and Lexi

If you could have a container on your patio without animal interference you could grow some stuff. Mom grows radishes and green onions in the pots….those usually aren’t expensive to buy anyway. It is a dreadful shame you are not closer because we have 2 of those water thingies….forgot their name right now. We only need one. I would gladly give one to you. I have heard of various things to get rid of animals but I don’t know if they work. My brother-in-law has deer eat his garden but he’s found something to keep them away.

(((Shoko)))

7. PigLove

Great my friend! We know what you mean about cheaper milk going bad quick. Sometimes with the store bought brand it does that. A name brand, Mayfield, lasts longer and to mom it tastes better. It’s just way more expensive – like $6 a gallon. And mom says she has never had tuna helper. Interesting. She may have to try! XOXO – Bacon

Mom likes the tuna helper au gratin….yummy. She adds stuff to it like green and red peppers, garlic, peas whatever is kicking around the fridge that would go nicely with it. Now, they have biscuits with it.

Kitty kisses,