The Training Process

Kali here my friends. Shoko is too embarrassed to tell you about her training process.

Mom decided that because I get a lot of attention over my various health concerns that this fall and winter her and Shoko would have some bonding time while Shoko learned some tricks. Sounds good, right. Just wait! Mom was pumped and went out and bought a clicker, read all the instructions and decided to introduce Shoko to the clicker before fall to see her reaction.

Horrifying Clicker

Horrifying Clicker

Mom thought the bedroom was nice and quiet so a great place for Shoko to get her lessons. Out came the clicker and rested on the bed. Shoko came in at curfew and headed to the bedroom. She took one look at the menacing looking clicker, ran and hid!

Chicky Shoko

Chicky Shoko

Mom was left with a bewildered look on her face. She has no idea how to get Shoko used to the clicker. I implore our dear friends to suggest a way mom can get Shoko to accept the clicker so the training process can begin. HELP HELP!

21 thoughts on “The Training Process

1. dezizworld

MOL So sowwy yous mommy be sad. Weez don’t use clickers here fur twainin’, mommy finks they work better fur dogs or cats hoo be motivated by food. Altho’ mommy finks tweats be a bad idea fur twainin’ too cuz of da weight issue and da times yous don’t hav tweats on yous but still want da behavior. But ifin yous wanna use a clicker, da bestest way to get a kitty used to it is when they least spect it. When mommy calls y’all fur dinner and yous come, mommy shuld click and say good Shoko. When hers is givin’ yous tweats, hers shuld had da tweat to Shoko and click and say good Shoko. Eventually add commands to this and yous shuld be on yous way to clicker twainin’.

Dezi

Dezi mom will do this. Click when Shoko gets food or a treat. She’ll try anyway. Mom’s not exactly hopeful. What other way to train is there? Shoko is very skinny so extra food would look good on her. I would like to participate to but I can’t take too much food…I am NOT skinny. I like to say I’m voluptuous.

Kitty kisses,
      Kali

1. dezizworld

Oooh Kali weez like dat, voluptuous. 🙂 Weez be purretty volutuous too. MOL Mommy twains on da reward of luv and purraise system. Weez du wwhat hers wants us to do and she luvs us and gives us purraises and it makes us wanna do it again. Hers will giv a foo tweats after a twainin’ seesion, but not evewytime like yous do wiff clickers. Pawtly cuz hes nevew has munny and didn’t always buy tweats and pawtly cuz weez, as yous say, vuluptuous. MOL Mommy sez kits hav a mind of their own and rarely work well fur tweats cuz they get full or bored too fast. But most kits luv bein’ luv, played wiff or purraised so it works much better fur twainin’ anywyas. Pendin’ on wnhat yous mommy wants hers to do tweats might not always be close at hand, and da first time hers purrforms and dusn’t get a tweat, hers may nevew purrform again. good luck.

Dezi

Thanks Dezi…I like your way of learnin’. Kali would be very good at the praise lovin’ bit as that is what she really likes. Shoko is more materialistic….treats for her but I will try both. With Shoko scarred of the clicker, it might be just lovin’ and playin’.

Shoko and Kali’s mom

3. Pawcific Purrsea

Oh dear Shoko, I wonder what it is about the clicker that you find so frightful just by looking at it. I would recommend that your mom not even show it to you because the magic is in what it sounds like, not what it looks like. If she’s crafty, maybe hiding it in a little mouse costume might work and If she hasn’t read this page yet: http://www.clickertraining.com/node/40, it might be of some further help as not all furiends like it right away. Keep trying, I’m here for you =^,,^=

Oh we like the idea of hiding the clicker in a toy……the sound can’t be SEEN just HEARD!!!
    Good luck…………..if my Mom bought a clicker I’d never speak to her again……..HAHAHAHAHA

Hugs, Sammy

Sammy, What a brilliant idea. Purrsea must know his stuff. It probably wouldn’t sound as loud either….its too loud for me. I am getting used to the sight of it now that I’m sleeping with it. Mom says if there are many more hidings from it, she will put it in a little snail of mine. Mom doesn’t expect great results with training, just some alone time for her and me.

Sloppy licks,

Hi Bacon, my bud, There was a huge leap of faith last night in bed. Mom picked up the clicker and put it right up so I could sniff it. I was so brave….I never ran away or bit mom! You see, mom has me sleep near it every night and this morning I woke up laying on it. Mom says…..we are doing good with baby steps.

Sloppy licks,

6. Timmy Tomcat

Hmmmm
    That clicker really is kind of scary. It looks like an eye staring at you and I bet it sounds like the clicking of big teeths
    Maybe just put it on the floor for a few days and just ignore it. Then put some treats next to it. I would go check out the treats but would have to fight my way through the clowder to get my share.
    MOL
    Purrs
    Timmy

7. SuntanMidori

My mum bought a clicker for us. And a training stick to “show” us where to jump or sit or whatever. So far, we’ve outstubborned her feeble training attempts. #catpower
    purrs, Obi

hahaha…Hi Obi, your mom must be frustrated by now. Mom tried the clicker on me and I bent over and gave her a gentle bite on the hand…..I know she’s getting a little frustrated but I just cock my head and look like, “now what’s wrong mom?”

Hahaha